FEATURE CAR: OCTOBER 2020
Owned by Scott Phillips, Tulsa, OK
The first Cadillac automobiles were the 1903 Model built in the last quarter of 1902. These were 2-seater “horseless carriages” powered by a reliable and sturdy 10 hp (7 kW) single-cylinder engine developed by Henry Martyn Leland and built by Leland and Faulconer Manufacturing Company of Detroit, of which Henry Leland was founder, vice-president and general manager.
The Model E was released in January, 1905. It was a featherweight 1,100 lb (500 kg) runabout model with seating for two, priced at $750. It used a
74 in (1,900 mm) wheelbase, splitting the difference between the C and the B/F. There was no detachable tonneau available to make it a four-seater. The arched front axle was tubular. The axle was given a truss, and added mid-year was a rocker shaft between it and the spring. Single cylinder 98.2 cu. inch engine with an advertised output of 9 horsepower.
The planetary transmission which had balanced linkage on its bands provided two speeds and reverse. Drive was taken to the back axle by chain.